Here I am, Fleeing Egypt! There is no leavened bread in that lunch bag-- just rice cakes spread with my homemade chicken liver pate-- I wasn't going to leave that behind! The German lady who took this picture looked at me like I was crazy. I can't decide which part of this trip was the most difficult-- the 600 yards uphill to this bus stop, or the 1000 yards from where I got off the S-bahn to where I met my friend in the station. I actually had to stop and rest several times! I thought my forearms would fall off.
Here is the street where I have stayed in beautiful, beautiful Frankfurt. They plant so many trees! There is one right behind and right in front of my friend's apartment. It is unbearably lovely to look out the window and see green, even though I can hear the city just beyond. It feels so sheltered and safe, screened from prying eyes, but in an organic way that doesn't isolate. I also notice how much care Germans tend to take with their buildings. They have such amazing high ceilings, and it is typical rather than unusual to find lots of ornamentation framing the different floors and windows-- like molding, but on the outside. The paint is fresh, but the proportions are from a different time. I think most of the buildings left here were built in the 1800s or early 1900s. Germans prefer to renovate, rather than tear down and build fresh. This is not to say that there aren't ugly buildings or neighborhoods too crammed for trees, or very modern buildings, just that as I walk the city I see more evidence of intentionality than neglect. The impression is formed that people who are permitted to make a mark on this town are somehow required to consider their long-term effects. I'm sure it's a pain in the butt if you are trying to build something, but I can see the fruit it produces.
On Saturday it will be a month since I moved here, and I will begin moving my things out. God has been incredibly faithful, and I have now another friend who has invited me to stay while I work things out. She even lives quite near the first friend, so that I am not completely uprooted from all the exploration I have done of this area. We will see what happens in October-- this second friend has someone coming to live with her then, maybe, so it may be best for me to have something else by then. I'm aware-- but I'm not worrying. God provided a second place, He can provide a third, or a fourth, or a fifth, and even if He doesn't and I wind up flying home to the states-- I still trust Him. His good doesn't always look the way I am expecting it to look. Actually, His good almost never looks the way I am expecting it to look, and I find that He has to work on my eyes as He's working good for me, that I may see it. But here at least are two good pictures, which I never would have imagined before. Frankfurt was never on my radar, and who could imagine that lugging a lunch bag, a purse, a bag filled with books, a guitar and two heavy suitcases across two cities could be such blessing?
No comments:
Post a Comment